Friday, October 13, 2006

Unconditional Love

The Loss of a Son to Oxycontin


When I was at my wits end dealing with Austin and trying to figure out what to do, I read everything on the net I could. Most of what I read was along the lines of "Tough Love". Then I came across a mother saying that she was not going to kick her son out of the house. She wanted to know that he had a roof over his head, a bed to sleep in, and food in his stomach. She didn't give him money or condone his behavior. That really struck a chord with me.

That is what I decided to do for Austin. He had his own apartment, but he was going to lose it because he was on leave from his work until he "got clean". He had no income, so he was to move in with me. I bought him groceries, took him with me to restaurants, gave him a bicycle (he lost his license), gave him a phone card (didn't want him to have a cell phone because he would call dealers) and I spent a lot of time with him talking about everything. I am so glad I spent the time with him. He died 3-4 days before he would have moved back in with me.

Oh, I have regrets...a week before he died, he asked me to take him to see "Dukes of Hazard" movie and I told him I was too busy. But I am so glad that I took care of his basic needs. I guess all our kids need unconditional love. That doesn't mean we like what they do.

No comments: